Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My 'busted' ride!

Last weekend we visited Mt. Rushmore (more on that later) and on our way, James knocked down the pony express! At about 11 PM and 30 miles from Custer (where our hotel was) a horse that was dark as night ran out in front of our van. We were already slowed down because it's friend was on the other side of the road. Thankfully, we only hit it going about 30 mph! It was like slow motion as it hit the drivers side and rolled up onto the passenger side. We were stunned! After we hit it, the horse rolled off the car denting the passenger side doors (yes plural) and neighed loudly as it ran off into the night!? We pulled over to survey the damage and both got out shaking. The whole way to our hotel we kept talking about how blessed we were. If one little thing were different the entire outcome could have changed drastically! We know the Lord was watching over us and protected us!


My busted ride!

Passenger side windshield!

Look at the nasty horse hair matted into the windshield!

This is one of the strands of hair James threw off the windshield! TOTALLY GROSS!!!
ps... We did get the windshield fixed the next day and drove it home. It's headed into the shop this week for a total body makeover!

11 comments:

ambercarlson said...

you may not think this is funny, but i am literally dying over here... I can't even catch a breath to tell ty what happened! you're post is too funny! i's so glad to hear that everyone was okay, that is just freaking crazy.... a

Meg said...

Whoa! What a story! We are blessed to know you are okay and that you were only going 30! Thank the Lord you saw the other horse! Wow!

Shannon said...

oh my gosh!!! speechless...

Stephanie Black said...

Whoa! How lucky you all are to not be injured (you're not injured right?). I can't believe that. Poor van and poor horse, but I'm so glad you are all ok. Now..what's up with all the travels? Are you sure you are in school still??? Maybe you are done?. You guys are on the road a lot lately it seems. It looks so fun, and I'm just jealous to not be out discovering all these cool places. I'll call you for travel tips!

Brillig said...

Holy crap!!! hahahahahaha. I'm sorry, but this is hilarious. (Of course, I'm glad that no one was hurt.) I LOVE that you took a picture of the nasty horse hair. hahahha

Jeff and Krishawn said...

That is crazy! I'm glad you guys are ok. So how is the Harley going to work with all the car seats?

JennyMac said...

WOW...scary and so glad this didnt have a worse ending.

Stefanie said...

You're the only people I know who have hit a horse. That did some serious damage to your van! Glad you all made it home safe. By the way, your family pictures turned out adorable.

Joan Morris said...

What a scary story. I'm so glad you are all okay. I can't believe that the horse survived. Hope your car is repairable.

Kay Hinton said...

Think of the story that horse is telling his friends . . .
Glad you're all safe and hope the car is all fixed.

Shonna said...

Holy cow! I'm so glad you guys were safe. That van is a total wreck, good luck in getting it fixed.