Monday, May 25, 2009

What the hail??!!

For memorial day James decided we should bike to Cherry Creek reservoir. It's about 12 miles there and back so I hesitantly agreed. We watched the news to see what to expect and the weatherman said to expect showers after 2:00. So we left by 10 to have lots of time. Once we arrived at the reservoir we felt the first sprinkles. Instead of letting the kids play around on the 'beach' we immediately headed back. About 1 mile later it just started POURING (around 11:30)!!!! We had to bike the remaining 5 miles in a mix of pouring rain and hail. All three kids were screaming their heads off by mile 4 because water had soaked through the bike trailer!!! By the time we got home our hands were completely numb and we looked like soaked rats!! Just to let you know James is already planning on us going again later in the week!!! Fun??!!


Look at that rain!!

The drowned rats!!

Dorothy after a warm bath and in her jammies!
(She refused to take a picture when we got home!)

It rained so much it flooded the run-off field across the street!!

7 comments:

Kay Hinton said...

I'm glad everyone survived your adventure. Your title definitely draws you in!!

Heather Capener said...

That is awesome!! Too bad it wasn't super hot and the rain was a welcome treat to the heat. Oh well, better luck later this week

:)

Jessica said...

I can only imagine the meltdown of all three kids! I'm sure you can't wait for round 2...
--Jessica

Lilit said...

oh, man we were siting home and feeling so sorry for those who were outside when it was coming down...
i am glad you all made it home safely even though wet!

The Clark Family said...

What an adventure! And I absolutely love Violet's expression! And I love all of your new posts! It sounds like you have had such a great time lately. Your cake was amazing and looking at that candy makes me salivate! And happy graduation Dorothy! Can you believe kindergarten next year? Crazy! I think we are going camping this weekend. But I am planning on leaving at night and coming back in the morning I think. But maybe you have inspired me to stay. We will see....

Joan Morris said...

What a disaster. I'm glad you made it safely back. You'll have to plan a trip to Idaho and go camping with Uncle Tom. It is quite an adventure :)

sara cardon said...

Too funny!! I can just imagine three screaming children in the back of a bike trailer in the pouring rain.:) Ahhh, spring. Never trust the weather man!!