Thursday, May 1, 2008

Happy May Day!!

I have always thought this is the most underrated holiday!! I bet most of you didn't know today was even May day!!! No, it is not a holiday about sending a distress signal. Wikipedia says: May Day has been a traditional day of festivities throughout the centuries. It is most associated with towns and villages celebrating springtime fertility and revelry with village fetes and community gatherings. Perhaps the most significant of the traditions is the Maypole, around which traditional dancers circle with ribbons.

So happy May day!! Now that you know, go out a celebrate (preferably with a Maypole!!!)

2 comments:

Heather Capener said...

I totally forgot all about the fun of May Day, until one of the nurses at work said she used to go and leave flowers at the neighbors doors, knock and run and I had a flash of memories about how I used to do that too! What a great holiday. I wish I didn't have to work and everyone would have received secret flowers!

Joan Morris said...

I remember making May baskets and filling them with lilacs and putting them on the neighbor's doorsteps and doorbell ditching. Fun time. This year, our lilacs aren't even close to blooming. It is a very cold and blustery May!