Friday, July 13, 2012

Ruby's born

After being in labor for NINE days, 3 trips to the hospital and having the C-Section almost happen once, I finally broke down and decided to go back to the hospital on Sunday afternoon.  I had been 3 times before to be told that I was not dilating at all but was having regular contractions anywhere from 1.5 minutes to 5 minutes apart.  I was EXHAUSTED and emotionally spent.  My mom came over everyday and stayed all day babysitting me since I was suppose to be on bed rest.  I felt awful and was a mess!  I was crying all the time and pleading that whatever I needed to learn from this I would hurry up and learn because I was done!  Early Sunday morning the contractions got a lot stronger and I lost my mucus plug and had my bloody show.  I called my mom and she wanted me to go to the hospital to get checked out but I wanted to wait.  James took the kids to church and I stayed home and cried and prayed that it would soon be over!  (I had an amniocentesis scheduled at 9 am on Monday morning and the section was scheduled at 5:30 Monday night.)  After church James was concerned that I was contracting a lot harder and called my Dr (who is AMAZING) he said we should head up to the hospital and he would come up and meet us.  I called my mom and we dropped the kids off at Evan and Kelly's and we went. Once Dr Warner got there he said let's just do it today... I was so HAPPY!  He called in another partner and they prepped me for the C-Section.  This pregnancy was very difficult emotionally and physically.  I had been praying about whether or not to get my tubes tied the entire time.  After fasting and a lot of prayer James and I felt like it was the right decision.  We signed the papers at the hospital (nothing like waiting for the last minute).  The C-Section took a little over an hour and they had to do some serious renovations from previous C-Sections.  Once they opened me up they discovered that my placenta had already torn away from the uterine wall and if we had waited a day the baby would most likely not have made it.  When she was born she could not breath I got to see her for about 1 second before they pulled her away because she was BLUE!  James rushed into the other room with her and they called in a code and had the NICU team in the room within seconds.  They had her breathing in no time and she spent a few hours in the NICU being monitored.  Her lungs were not 100% developed and she was not quite ready to come out.  This was when I realized how in tune with the spirit my Dr's were on Monday night July 2nd they had decided that after the baby failed a non-stress test that we should do the C-Section a few hours later.  I went up to the hospital got all prepped including my IV and half the med's and my Dr came in the room.  At this point the baby's heart rate was perfect and she seemed fine, he strongly felt we should wait.  I was really frustrated because I was all ready to go!
The baby ended up being fine and so was I.  The two Dr's doing the C-Section both felt that I needed to tie my tubes because next time we would most likely end up with a still born or something worse.  I am still really emotional about this decision I know it was the right one but I am mourning for the loss of another baby I really wanted to have five kids but am finding peace knowing that we made the decision with the help of Heavenly Father.  We are enjoying every moment with this sweet little spirit Ruby and feel so blessed to have her in our lives!  Here are pictures of her birth...
Coming out!

After the NICU in Mother baby getting ready to go meet Mommy for the first time!

A bath

All clean and ready to go!

The first time I got to hold my sweet little Ruby!

Proud Daddy!

My amazing mom!


Shannon said...

What an amazing story, Tricia! So happy that she is doing well and so are you! She is absolutely beautiful!!

Pal & Hatty said...

We are SO glad that she is here safe and sound! I think she gets cuter every time I see her!!

W. Conrad & Hailey said...

I'm so glad you and Ruby are okay! I can't wait to meet her. She is so cute!

Kay Hinton said...

Oh, Tricia, you made me cry. There is nothing more spiritual than the birth of a baby, and your story of perfect timing is such a blessing. I'm so glad it all ended well.

Pam said...

Ryan, who is a gynecologist, has told me that mother and child truly are close to life and death when a baby is born, and that each birth is a miracle. I'm so thrilled for you that Ruby is here, safe and sound and that you are, also. What a hard, hard thing, but so very worth it! Congratulations!

Ming said...

What a story! How scary and trying that all must have been. I'm so glad you have good doctors and that Ruby made it safe and sound. Also, I think 4 kids is perfect. Congratulations on that sweet little girl. She's just perfect.